Rick has a sophisticated and wide-ranging estates and trusts practice. He is a member of the Estates and Trusts practice group and counsels individuals and families in all aspects of estate planning, asset protection and business succession, including the design and drafting of legal documents to achieve both tax and non-tax motivated objectives.
Outside of the office, Rick is a member of the volunteer executive board and past council president of the Tukabatchee Area Council of the Boy Scouts. He is also a past vestry member and Senior Warden of the Church of the Holy Comforter Episcopal Church.
- Representing businesses in structuring ownership to preserve value for future generations
- Representing clients in the administration of multi-million dollar estates involving multiple properties and business interests spread across state lines
- Drafted estate planning instruments including wills, revocable trusts (living trusts), irrevocable trusts, dynasty or “perpetual” trusts (GST exempt trusts), family limited partnerships, grantor retained annuity trusts (GRATs), qualified personal residence trusts (QPRTs), charitable remainder trusts, and charitable lead trusts
- Structuring charitable gift agreements, premarital agreements, powers of attorney and living wills
- Representing closely-held businesses in all aspects of formation & operation, including corporations, partnership agreements, limited liability company agreements, shareholder agreements, management succession plans and buy-sell agreements
- Representing clients in estate and gift tax disputes with the Internal Revenue Service.
- Advising fiduciaries (executors and trustees) on estate and trust administration, including probate administration, preparation of state and Federal estate tax returns, preparation of accountings, and termination and distribution of estates and trusts, as well as trust and estate litigation, including controversies over will and trust construction and alleged breaches of fiduciary responsibilities
- Structuring executive compensation plans, equity-based compensation arrangements and qualified employee benefit plans
Memberships and Affiliations >
- Montgomery County Bar Association
- American Bar Association (Member, Sections on Taxation; Real Property, Probate and Trust Law)
- Alabama State Bar (Member, Sections on Taxation, Real Estate Property, Probate & Trust, Elder Law)
- Montgomery Estate Planning Council (Board Member)
- National Association of Estate Planners
- Accredited Estate Planner
- B.A., Davidson College, 1976
- J.D., University of Alabama, 1979
- LL.M. in Taxation, University of Miami, 1980
- AV-Preeminent rating by Martindale Hubbell
- Supreme Court of Alabama
- United States District Court, Middle District of Alabama
- United States Tax Court