Brent advises business clients in a variety of commercial real estate and commercial lending matters, including commercial property purchases and sales, commercial leasing and complex financings. Brent also assists clients in business mergers and acquisitions and other tax and business planning and regulatory compliance matters. Brent has worked extensively with hospitals, physicians and other healthcare clients to comply with the HIPAA privacy, security and breach notification rules, and advised other business clients in regard to privacy and information security matters. Brent has also helped a number of business clients understand and manage their exposure under the employer shared responsibility provisions of the Affordable Care Act. Brent is a frequent publisher and speaker on these and other legal matters. He has published articles and presented for, among others, the Medical Association of the State of Alabama, the American Health Lawyers Association, the Society of Human Resource Management Professionals, the Automobile Dealers Association of Alabama, the State of Alabama and local chapters of the Medical Group Management Association and the Alabama Hospital Association.
Brent has advised clients in a variety of commercial transactions and regulatory compliance matters, including, for example:
- Represented lenders and borrowers in a variety of commercial real estate and other complex financing transactions
- Advised hospitals, physician practices and other healthcare clients in regard to HIPAA compliance and a variety of other matters pertaining to patient privacy and information security
- Advised hospital clients in a series of physician practice acquisitions, physician recruitment transactions and other business transactions and physician practices and other health care clients in structuring mergers and acquisitions and other affiliations and similar transactions
- Negotiated and prepared leases and various other agreements for the use of retail, office and other commercial real estate
Memberships and Affiliations >
- American Bar Association Real Property Section – Commercial Leasing and Real Estate Transactions, Mergers and Acquisitions, Cyberspace Law and Health Law Practice Groups
- American Health Lawyers Association – Health Information Technology Practice Group (Privacy and Security Risk Compliance and Enforcement Affinity Group); Hospitals and Health Systems Practice Group (Real Estate Affinity Group); Business Law and Governance (Transactions Affinity Group)
- Alabama and Montgomery Medical Group Management Association
- Envision 2020: River Region Health Information Exchange - IT Finance Work Group
- EMERGE Montgomery - Financial Development Committee; Torchbearers Leadership Class (2010)
- B.S., Auburn University, 1995
- M.S., Auburn University, 1996
- J.D., Cumberland School of Law at Samford University, 1999 (Research and Writing Editor, American Journal of Trial Advocacy)
- LL.M. in Taxation, University of Florida, 2004
Recent Publications and Presentations >
- Privacy / Security Update, Alabama Hospital Association Health Law Update (October 7, 2020)
- COVID-19 / Privacy and Security, Gilpin Givhan Insights (April 2020)
- Privacy / Cybersecurity: Priorities for 2020, Alabama Hospital Association Health Law Update (September 2019)
- "Hospital Health Law Update," Gilpin Givhan, PC and Alabama Hospital Association 2019
- Client Alert (May 28, 2019) – "Cybersecurity: Key Issues for Hospital Boards and Management"
- Client Alert (April 29, 2019) – "Health Industry Cybersecurity Practices: Managing Threats and Protecting Patients"
- Information Security: New Strategies to Protect Your Practice Assets (March 26, 2019) – Roundtable presentation with local technology and insurance experts
- Affordable Care Act Update (March 21, 2019) – Presentation to Montgomery Society of Human Resource Professionals
- Client Alert (November 28, 2018) - "Affordable Care Act - Employer Mandate Update"
- Client Alert (November 28, 2018) - "HIPAA and the Media"
- Dothan Information Security Roundtable (November 15, 2018) – Roundtable presentation with local technology and insurance experts
- Cybersecurity: Top Priorities (September 26, 2018) – Alabama Hospital Association 2018 Annual Health Law Update for Hospitals
- "What Can Physicians Charge for Medical Records?" - Alabama Medicine Magazine (Summer 2018)
- "It's 2 AM: Do You Know Where Your Patients' Information Is?" - American Health Lawyers Association Hospital and Health Systems Newsletter
- Physician Groups
- Commercial Real Estate
- Other Health Care Providers
- Corporate and Securities
- Supreme Court of Alabama
- United States Tax Court