Brent regularly advises and works with healthcare and other business clients in regard to a variety of matters, including privacy and information security; mergers and acquisitions and other complex business transactions; real estate matters including retail and commercial leasing, property sales and acquisitions and real estate development matters; and various other business planning matters, including tax, corporate and business succession. Brent is a frequent publisher and speaker on these and other issues. He has recently published articles and presented for the Medical Association of the State of Alabama, the American Health Lawyers Association, the Society of Human Resource Management Professionals and the Alabama Hospital Association.
Memberships and Affiliations >
- Alabama and Montgomery Medical Group Management Association
- American Health Lawyers Association (Physician Organization Practice Group, Health Information Technology Practice Group)
- American Bar Association (Sections on Taxation; Business Law; and Health Law)
- Envision 2020: River Region Health Information Exchange - IT Finance Work Group
- EMERGE Montgomery - Financial Development Committee; Torchbearers Leadership Class (2010)
- B.S., Auburn University, 1995
- M.S., Auburn University, 1996
- J.D., Cumberland School of Law at Samford University, 1999 (Research and Writing Editor, American Journal of Trial Advocacy)
- LL.M. in Taxation, University of Florida, 2004
Recent Publications and Presentations >
- "Hospital Health Law Update," Gilpin Givhan, PC and Alabama Hospital Association 2019
- Client Alert (May 28, 2019) – "Cybersecurity: Key Issues for Hospital Boards and Management"
- Client Alert (April 29, 2019) – "Health Industry Cybersecurity Practices: Managing Threats and Protecting Patients"
- Information Security: New Strategies to Protect Your Practice Assets (March 26, 2019) – Roundtable presentation with local technology and insurance experts
- Affordable Care Act Update (March 21, 2019) – Presentation to Montgomery Society of Human Resource Professionals
- Client Alert (November 28, 2018) - "Affordable Care Act - Employer Mandate Update"
- Client Alert (November 28, 2018) - "HIPAA and the Media"
- Dothan Information Security Roundtable (November 15, 2018) – Roundtable presentation with local technology and insurance experts
- Cybersecurity: Top Priorities (September 26, 2018) – Alabama Hospital Association 2018 Annual Health Law Update for Hospitals
- "What Can Physicians Charge for Medical Records?" - Alabama Medicine Magazine (Summer 2018)
- "It's 2 AM: Do You Know Where Your Patients' Information Is?" - American Health Lawyers Association Hospital and Health Systems Newsletter
- Physician Groups
- Other Health Care Providers
- Commercial Real Estate
- Corporate and Securities
- Supreme Court of Alabama
- United States Tax Court